SolMistral Anime Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Review] Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion

+2
Zero~sama012
dreamwingz
6 posters

Go down

[Review] Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion Empty [Review] Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion

Post by dreamwingz Sat May 16, 2009 3:14 am

Yes, yes, I know I'm very very late with this review but hey! Better late than never!

[Review] Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion Largeanimepaperscans_code-geass_suemura152__thisres__136106

Title: Code Geass- Lelouch of the Rebellion
Alternate Title: コードギアス 反逆のルルーシュ [Japanese]
Alternate Title: Code Geass- Hangyaku no Lelouch [Japanese]
Subb-Groups: Shinsen Subs (thats the sub group i used!)
Vintage: 2006-10-05 to 2007-07-28

Genre: action, drama, science-fiction, psychological, supernatural
Theme: mecha, military, real-robot
Age Rating: Teenagers (May contain Violence, Blood, Bad language and Nudity)

Story/Plot

The Empire of Britannia proclaimed war on every nation bent on world domination. The opposing nations defended themselves with Guns, Tanks, Planes, Infantry and Missiles but all these defense were rendered useless with the Introduction of the Knightmare frames, a super robot developed by the Empire of Britannia. Superior in terms of firepower, speed, defense and mobility, the opposing nations didnt stand a chance! After the loss, Japan has since been renamed Area 11 and the people, the 11's. A young boy at that time, Lelouch, vowed to his friend Suzaku that he will destroy Britannia with his very own hands.

Years later, Lelouch is now a high schooler, though he frequently plays truant and runs out of school for a simple game of chess. It is on one of this instances that he stumbles on terrorist 11's who've stolen a top secret military project. They didnt get far though, as the pursuit team, catches up with them with the discoverer set to be Suzaku, Lelouch's childhood friend. The military project, in the shape of a pod, is said to be a type of poison guess, deadly once inhaled, but much to everyones surprise, a young girl, by the name of C.C emerges from it. Upon finding out that Lelouch was involved one way or another Suzaku couldnt pull the trigger. Instead Suzaku was shot for disobeying orders. Meanwhile, Lelouch and the young girl was cornered by a Knightmare frame. It is at this time that the young girl grants Lelouch the use of Geass, a power that gives Lelouch ultimate control over anyone.

Using this new found power to compliment his already high Intellectual capabilities, Calling themselves the order of the Black knights, Lelouch, under the mask of Zero, lead the rebellion of the Black Knights to destroy Britannia once and for all.

My opinion of it: A nice Storyline on the general basis. What i really like about this plot is the lack of some insanely powerful ability. Sure, the absolute obedience Geass may seem pretty overpowered at first, but as the story progresses, you will find that there are tons of limitations placed on Geass with that much power. Sadly however, there was still tons of mindless battle conflicts with outcomes based on pure power, or RTS (real-time strategy). the lack of proper Tactics were also evident at some points though i must say, the first arc fully portrayed Lelouch ability to create tactics beautifully.

Score: 7.5/10

Character Development

Well, the character development of this anime was really well thought out. They pretty much explored every possibility of growth of our our protagonist up to the extent of using the Geass on himself. Supporting characters were not neglected as well. A good example was when they showcased Shirely and placed her in the center of the story during one of the arcs. Mind you, that arc was not a simple one where only romance was involved, it involved the unmasking of Zero! wow...

Score: 8/10

Problem Definition

From the very start of the show, the main problem was stated, The Empire of Britannia to be exact. After which, the story starts to handle this particular issue by responding with either violence or country destruction. I mean... what??? Since when could violence solve anything?? oh well. one thing i do like is the fact that the anime didnt allow itself to be bogged down with just a single issue. Instead, after a while, a new short problem gets introduced so as to breathe new life to the story itself. Pretty decent Problem development on the overall.

Score: 7.5/10

Art

Firstly i must admit i am no prodigy when it comes to judging artworks so help me out here!

Hmm... about the art... well, the drawings of the Robots are pretty... real pretty.. nice sections, nice weapons, nice cockpits and finally, nice color details. So that does it for the robots. (check out the screen shots for an example)

The characters themselves are expectedly well drawn. I mean look at the artist who drew them! They are none other then Clamp! Clamp is renowned for their artwork of highly detailed hair, heavily stylized eyes and human figures, elaborate human clothing.. etc.. so how can they go wrong?

Now for the background details.. i for one found that the background details, such as the buildings, smoke, weapon fire, etc, was pretty well drawn. What i really liked was the drawing of the destruction of buildings. It had a really rugged feel to it as well as the feel of a huge missile had just hit it and taken every last living thing out of it. Call me a sadist but real nice.. really nice.

So artwork on the overall is sweet!

Score 9/10

Enjoyment

Really enjoyed this anime on the overall. Nice drawings, nice plot, nice character development and nice Problem definition. However, one thing i have yet to say is the awesome fighting scenes involved! Despite my disliking of mindless fights, i must say, the fighting scenes were really well choreographed! I mean, it sort of feels like you are watching a play instead of two heavy machines pitting themselves against one another! Another factor that contributes to the score of the enjoyment rating is the really funny filler episodes! The producers kept to the most important rule of any filler episodes, that is keeping it short and sweet, unlike some other animes (not pointing fingers at Naruto..). what more can i say?

Score: 8.5/10 (too diverse to get a perfect score)

Overall Score

8.1/10

A real masterpiece and a real joy to watch! Go watch it if you havent! I Lelouch vi Britannia Commands you!

Screen shots:

Lancelot:
[Review] Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion Code70qx2

Geass:
[Review] Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion F_vlcsnap5647m_f2c75b0

Order of the black knights:
[Review] Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion Code_geass_order_of_the_black_knights_2

C.C:
[Review] Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion Codege10

Lelouch & Suzaku:
[Review] Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion Code-Geass-Hangyaku-No-Lelouch_6

Last edited by dreamwingz on Sat May 16, 2009 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
dreamwingz
dreamwingz
Administrator
Administrator

SM Points : 527

Back to top Go down

[Review] Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion Empty Re: [Review] Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion

Post by Zero~sama012 Sat May 16, 2009 9:07 am

I can't see a c.c's picture...

Where is it?
Zero~sama012
Zero~sama012
Scheherazade
Scheherazade

SM Points : 1468

Back to top Go down

[Review] Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion Empty Re: [Review] Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion

Post by dreamwingz Sat May 16, 2009 10:51 am

try refreshing your browser.. works fine for me
dreamwingz
dreamwingz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Zero~sama012 Sat May 16, 2009 10:55 am

still don't have...

I wonder whats the problem.
Zero~sama012
Zero~sama012
Scheherazade
Scheherazade

Back to top Go down

Post by Masu Sat May 16, 2009 12:01 pm

I cant see it either
Masu
Masu
Trismesgitus
Trismesgitus

SM Points : 275

Back to top Go down

Post by dreamwingz Sat May 16, 2009 12:05 pm

really??

okayy.. lemme reupload it...

Edit: done! so can you guys see it?
dreamwingz
dreamwingz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Masu Sat May 16, 2009 12:11 pm

now i can
Masu
Masu
Trismesgitus
Trismesgitus

SM Points : 275

Back to top Go down

Post by Zero~sama012 Sat May 16, 2009 12:15 pm

Yeah, me 2...

C.C holding the weird doll and there was a box of pizza beside her...

Kawaiii!
Zero~sama012
Zero~sama012
Scheherazade
Scheherazade

Back to top Go down

Post by dreamwingz Sat May 16, 2009 12:25 pm

Lolz.. okayy... thanks for the info about the pic! so what do you think about the review?
dreamwingz
dreamwingz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Zero~sama012 Sat May 16, 2009 12:33 pm

Do u wrote it all of it? It looks like an essay...lolz...

Anyway, the review is completely awesome and clear 2 everyone.
Zero~sama012
Zero~sama012
Scheherazade
Scheherazade

Back to top Go down

Post by dreamwingz Sat May 16, 2009 12:44 pm

as a matter of fact, yes, i did write it. ahaha~ so its clear i see.. thats good.. ahaha~ thanks for the feedback!
dreamwingz
dreamwingz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Zero~sama012 Sat May 16, 2009 12:47 pm

U welcome... there is nothing actually...

Anyway, thanks 4 the rep.
Zero~sama012
Zero~sama012
Scheherazade
Scheherazade

Back to top Go down

Post by dreamwingz Sat May 16, 2009 12:51 pm

lolz.. no problem at all..
dreamwingz
dreamwingz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Syrae Sat May 16, 2009 12:58 pm

Nice review dude.
If i wouldnt have seen it already i would go see it now^^
Im waiting for season 3 atm ^^
Syrae
Syrae
I/O
I/O

SM Points : 158

http://www.xfire.com/profile/heavenraider

Back to top Go down

Post by dreamwingz Sat May 16, 2009 1:11 pm

Lolz.. a season 3?? hmm.. i wonder how they will carry on from where they left off..
dreamwingz
dreamwingz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Zero~sama012 Sat May 16, 2009 1:20 pm

Is it have a season 3?

or is it only just a rumor?
Zero~sama012
Zero~sama012
Scheherazade
Scheherazade

Back to top Go down

Post by dreamwingz Sat May 16, 2009 1:36 pm

no word on it yet...
dreamwingz
dreamwingz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Zero~sama012 Sat May 16, 2009 1:46 pm

Guess I have 2 concentrate and observe it every second.
Zero~sama012
Zero~sama012
Scheherazade
Scheherazade

Back to top Go down

Post by bushidomizer Mon May 18, 2009 1:17 pm

nice review ! i really liked the anime (especially C.C. :]) thanks for spreading light on this somewhat underground series ! hopefully ppl will be intrigued and give it a try.
bushidomizer
bushidomizer
DL Moderator
DL Moderator

SM Points : 924

Back to top Go down

Post by dreamwingz Tue May 19, 2009 9:14 am

yeahh.. hopefully.. ahaha~
dreamwingz
dreamwingz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Synergiance Tue May 19, 2009 12:41 pm

no possible way for a season 3, unless its filler
maybe room for an ova, but the plot's complete

As for the review is concerned, great review
I read sumthin somewhere about the custom art style they used, I forget the name of it
Synergiance
Synergiance
Spam Moderator
Spam Moderator

SM Points : 1745

http://synergiance.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by dreamwingz Tue May 19, 2009 1:22 pm

I see... so there is a name for the art form used? thats interesting to know..
dreamwingz
dreamwingz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Synergiance Tue May 19, 2009 1:26 pm

I read the name of it somewhere, but I dont remember it
Synergiance
Synergiance
Spam Moderator
Spam Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by dreamwingz Tue May 19, 2009 1:35 pm

I see.. alrights...
dreamwingz
dreamwingz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Synergiance Tue May 19, 2009 1:48 pm

I cant find anything mentioning the name now, but if anyone finds the name of the artstyle sunrise developed it'd be real nice to know
Synergiance
Synergiance
Spam Moderator
Spam Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum